One of the most common questions we receive here at Flansburg Translations is “what is a certified translation?”. The definition of a certified translator varies greatly from a country to another. In fact, each agency may set its own definition and requirements for certified translations. Keep reading to learn more about Spanish to English certified translations.

A certified translation, in the United States, refers to a translation for which a translator or translation company has prepared and attached a statement (sometimes called a “Certificate of Translation Accuracy”) that guarantees the accuracy and completeness of the translation in relation to the document upon which it was based.

Many people confuse a certified translation with a certified translator, but these are two distinct things. In the United States, there are no federal or state certifications that qualify translator to produce certified translations. This is different from some European countries where a certified translation much be completed by a qualified sworn translator. The American Translators Association is an organization that certifies translators, but in order to produce a certified translation, a translator does not necessarily need to be associated with that organization or any organization for that matter. Accreditation is something that is required and determined on a case-by-case basis: there are no set standards or guidelines.

Anytime you submit foreign language documents in an official capacity, a certified translation is likely to be required. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), World Education Services (WES), Universities’ admission offices, and other government institutions require certified translations to accompany any foreign document written in Spanish. Some agencies have created their own rules on this topic, so you want to check with the specific agency or group to determine just what constitutes an acceptable certified translation.
At Flansburg Translations, we are experienced providing certified translations for USCIS, WES and other government and educational institutions. However, if the agency to which you are submitting your documents has specific translation requirements, you can send these requirements to us when you place your order for a certified translation and we will assure that your certified translation complies with what the institution is requesting.



Leave a comment